- Theme - Events
- Year - 1923
- Location - Chelmsford
- Filmmaker - F.A. Letchford
The Chelmsford Carnival began in 1922, yet this event, filmed in 1923, enthusiastically claimed to be the "biggest one ever". Held in order to raise funds for the old Chelmsford and Essex Hospital, the carnival consisted of cars and small floats parading through the town centre. Early on in the film, the parade can be seen travelling through Tindal Square, with the Sir Nicholas Conyngham Tindal statue visible in the background, overseeing the day's festivities.
Although the route of the carnival varied year on year, it always paraded through the main streets of the town, most likely trailing along High Street, Moulsham Street, New London Street and Duke Street. In 1923, the lively procession finished up at Hoffman's Recreation Ground, where Lady Curtis Bennett awarded prizes. Celebrations carried on into the night, with the local press subsequently announcing that "much fun was had by all."
This footage of the local carnival in Chelmsford was taken in order to keep a record of the event for future generations. The film was produced for the Select Cinema, formerly the Picture House in Chelmsford, in New Writtle Street and was eventually presented to the public. The last known record of the Chelmsford Carnival was from 1997.
EAFA CAT NO: 1114
Member Comments (1)