Queen opens new County Hall
- Theme - Royalty
- Year - 1968
- Location - Norwich
- Filmmaker - Anglia Television
Norwich’s County Hall, on Martineau Lane, was officially opened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on 24th May 1968, during a visit to the city.
The entire building cost around £2.5 million to construct and was at the forefront of modern sixties design both inside and out. Architect, Reginald H. Uren’s distinctive design drew much attention at the time - the building’s size and appearance were the subject of much discussion. As the film mentions, “the keynote design (was) to combine civic dignity with simplicity.” Alongside the councillors chambers and new administrative departments, the Norfolk Police had technologically-advanced offices within the building, alongside a War Room and Forensics Department.
The second, silent half of this film clip documents the Queen’s visit to County Hall. In one of the main council chambers, Her Majesty sits beneath the Norfolk coat of arms and signs the visitor’s book, before presenting a commemorative gift to the council.
Although the County Council delegated large amounts of its powers to the District Councils during the late forties, its work increased under the County Development Plan of 1952 and the office space on Thorpe Road became inadequate. 31 acres of land on the outskirts of Norwich were acquired as the new site for County Hall and the Norfolk Police Headquarters.
EAFA CAT NO: 208178